Before you start, preheat the oven to approximately Gas Mark 6.
1) Fry off the onions (if including them – you won’t ever see an onion on this blog since I can’t stand
them) and garlic (if you’re not including onions, add the garlic with the mince because otherwise it’ll
burn and be really bitter and yucky) in some Fry Light.
2) Add the mince and fry until brown. Drain any excess fat.
3) Add chopped tomatoes. Fill the can with water and add that to the pan.
4) Mix in herbs/bolognese mix and stir until well blended.
5) Simmer until the sauce has thickened to a consistency you’re happy with and then remove from
Variations: Could add veg (Slimming World usually recommends carrots and celery) or mushrooms;
use meat substitute (eg Quorn) to make it vegetarian; could add bacon/pancetta for extra flavour
(which should be added with the onions/before the mince).
Once the bolognese sauce is cooked (or simmering, if you can keep an eye on it at the same time!)
start making the white sauce.